[Dataloss] Followup: Tapes stolen containing patient info of 47, 000

Chris Walsh chris at cwalsh.org
Sat Apr 26 18:10:37 UTC 2008

According to http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=storage&articleId=9080322&taxonomyId=19&intsrc=kc_top
, *financial* data for 47K is on the tapes, but  *** 2,000,000 ***
records were exposed.

Accorrding to a FAQ set up by the university (http://dataincident.miami.edu/faqs.htm
):

"The University will be notifying by mail the approximately 47,000
patients whose data included credit card or other financial
information regarding bill payment."

I read this as saying that they could have lost everything about me
that is in my medical record, including my name, address, diseases and
treatments, prognosis, family medical history, and the like, but if
the file didn't also have information on how I paid them, I do not get
notified.  Some clarification would be useful.  I find it hard to
imagine that a large proportion of these records don't have a name,
DOB, and SSN, for example, but it isn't clear from what the University
has said whether they consider this "financial information regarding
bill payment".