[Dataloss] TX: Social Security Numbers Exposed On Hospital Bills

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Apr 23 11:49:54 UTC 2008

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20080423/NEWS09/804220345

Some 2,000 medical bills were mailed around East Texas last week with
patients' Social Security numbers visible on the envelope after a
technical glitch skewed billing at the collection agency used by the
University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler.

Chief Operating Officer Rob Marshall at UTHSCT said the problem was
quickly addressed and fixed, but his disappointment in collection agency
CBE Group Inc. might not be repairable.

"We're in negotiations ... I can't confirm or deny that we'll be with
(CBE) in the future," he said Tuesday evening. "But we do have a different
set of rules on handling issues like this and have already said how to
safeguard this in the future."

[...]