[Dataloss] Hannaford spending millions to upgrade after security breach

Jamie C. Pole jpole at jcpa.com
Tue Apr 22 19:42:46 UTC 2008

Wow - I'm happy that AP saw fit to minimize the Hannaford incident by
comparing it with TJX.  I'm sure Hannaford's lawyers also appreciate
that statement.

As far as Hannaford buying  a "24/7-managed security monitoring and
detection service" from IBM, I'm very happy for them, but I still want
to know how a PCI-compliant environment was breached, and how the
vendor that sold Hannaford it's PCI compliance certificate is still
selling product.  Not 30 minutes ago, I got a blast-spam advertisement
from Rapid7 regarding the very product that Hannaford was using.  Why
would I buy that product?  Why would I recommend that product to a
client?

How is the IBM monitoring solution going to prevent another breach?
Is Hannaford still using the Rapid7 product?

Is Hannaford still PCI-compliant?  If so, HOW???  This incident
graphically demonstrated that their PCI compliance certificate was
bogus.  Even if we believe that none of the systems involved in the
breach were covered by PCI (which we don't), why didn't the PCI
assessment identify those systems as being necessary?  Why was credit
card information accessible from systems that were not part of the PCI
environment?  How has Hannaford been processing credit card
transactions since the incident?

Lots of questions...

Jamie