[Dataloss] We make it way too easy for those who steal identities

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Apr 21 08:59:04 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts at infosecnews.org>

http://www.fresnobee.com/columnists/boren/story/538680.html

By Jim Boren
The Fresno Bee
04/20/08

No wonder identity theft is the fastest-growing crime. Our common sense
hasn't caught up with our technology.

We let anyone have our Social Security and driver's license numbers. We
might as well leave our wallets on a store counter and walk away. A thief
with a computer can quickly empty our bank accounts.

The bad guys consider our personal information better than cash. They can
only spend cash once, but with our personal information, they can create
false identities to open credit card and checking accounts.

The next thing you know, they're buying boats in your name and you don't
know it until the repo guy is at your door looking for the Chris Craft
Corsair 36.

I once interviewed a Sherman Oaks woman who didn't know her identity had
been stolen until she was called by a collection agency demanding money on
an unpaid cell phone bill. In a panic, she got a copy of her credit report
and found out that more than than $300,000 in fraudulent charges had been
made in her name.

[..]