[Dataloss] SSN's posted on web for months

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Mon Apr 7 16:10:42 UTC 2008

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=169&sid=1380599

WASHINGTON - A spreadsheet containing a "hidden" column of Social
Security numbers belonging to about two dozen officers and civilian
employees of one Army agency was left on the agency's website for five
months after being notified of the presence of the personal information.

The Army's Acquisition Support Center has temporarily shut down its
website to scrub the information from the spreadsheet, following
FederalNewsRadio's request for an interview.

"We regret that this error occurred. We have temporarily taken the web
site down to make the necessary corrections. We will bring the website
back online once the corrections have been verified," an Army spokesman
responded in an email. "We are also in the process of informing the
individuals on the spreadsheet that their information was made available
to the public."

The spokesman's email stated that the agency was investigating why the
information had been included on the spreadsheet to begin with, and why
it was still on the website five months after ASC was notified of its
presence.

A computer expert who works for a federal contractor was surfing the web
while doing research and found the spreadsheet in November. The file
contained a list of Colonels and civilians who managed programs within
ASC. Visible columns listed their name, rank, program and organization.

[...]