[Dataloss] CA: ID theft hits 93 students at UC Irvine

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Apr 5 03:49:28 UTC 2008

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/students-uci-henisey-2012204-irs-tax

UC Irvine police say 7,000 current or former graduate students could be at
risk of identity thieves who already used stolen data to file fake tax
returns for 93 students.

Police said Friday they don't know how the information was stolen or who
is using it.

Only grad students reported being targeted in the UCI case . the latest in
a series of campus security breaches nationwide that led to a state law
banning use of Social Security numbers as student identification.

In 2006, UCLA notified 800,000 people that their data might have been
hijacked.

Most of the 93 UCI students discovered the thefts when they tried to file
electronic tax returns and were told by the IRS that their returns had
already been filed, officials said.

"For the last two weeks, we have been scouring all of our databases and
computer systems, but we have not found any leak here" on campus, UCI
Police Chief Paul Henisey said.

The thefts appear to be part of a larger national case being investigated
by the Internal Revenue Service, Henisey said. IRS agents have been on
campus as part of the inquiry, he said. Henisey said the trail leads out
of state, but would not comment further to avoid jeopardizing the case.

[...]