[Dataloss] (update) eBay forum mysteriously leaks account details on 1, 200 users

Avery Sawaba avery.sawaba at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:06:11 UTC 2007

CVV is definitely used online, or anywhere a merchant wants to reduce
risk (and therefore the rate they are charged by their processor). The
security code concept is supposed to be a greater guarantee that the
person using a card has it in their physical possession, since the
only place you are supposed to be able to find it is physically
printed on the back of the card. Its purpose is very similar to that
of a PIN number.

The only time security codes are requested (or should be requested) is
right before a transaction is processed. The codes are validated in
real time.

--Sawaba