[Dataloss] UK: Loans website suffers security breach

security curmudgeon jericho at attrition.org
Mon Sep 17 08:14:47 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts at infosecnews.org>

http://www.itpro.co.uk/security/news/124958/loans-website-suffers-security-breach.html

By Miya Knights and Rene Millman
14th September 2007

UK online loans company, Loans.co.uk has said it suffered a security
breach that has resulted in customer details being passed to other loan
companies without authorisation.

The company said it recently learned of the breach and has contacted
affected customers, although it would not say how many were affected. It
did say sensitive information including names, addresses and dates of
birth was compromised however.

"We have no evidence to suggest that this information has been used for
any purpose other than marketing activity," said the company in a
statement. "The individuals are people who applied to us for a loan, but
we are not aware of any existing customers' details being provided."

The company has offered customers involved a year's free subscription to
credit reference agency, Credit Expert so they might check if any
fraudulent claims or applications are made using their details.

[..]