[Dataloss] McKesson: Stolen Computers Contain Patient Information

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Sat Sep 8 02:14:20 UTC 2007

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201804872

Health-care services company, McKesson, is alerting thousands of its
patients that their personal information is at risk after two of its
computers were stolen from an office.

The company, which helps pharmaceutical manufacturers set up assistance
programs for patients in need, sent out a letter alerting patients that
the computers were stolen on July 18. The names of the people being
alerted were on one of the two PCs, but it's not known how much of their
accompanying identifying information was also contained on the machines.

"Your personal information may have been on one of the two computers that
were stolen from a McKesson office," wrote Patrick Blake, president of
McKesson Specialty Pharmaceutical, in the letter to one patient. "At this
point, we have not determined if your personal information was on either
stolen computer. However, we are taking the precaution of notifying every
patient whose information might have been on the computers, just to be
safe."

[...]