[Dataloss] Louisiana: SS numbers accessed

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Tue Mar 27 21:56:57 UTC 2007

http://www.iberianet.com/articles/2007/03/27/news/news/news15.txt

Rosters containing information, including Social Security numbers, of
about 380 St. Mary Parish public school employees were accessed March 19
by a Yahoo! Web page search engine crawler.

St. Mary Parish schools Superintendent Donald Aguillard said the crawler
violated the school district Web page by accessing a database that stored
2002 through 2004 staff development rosters.

"These files were previously secure," Aguillard said. "Yahoo!'s new
aggressive Web crawler infiltrated the public server and our technology
department responded immediately to the breach in security by addressing
the following: Contacting Yahoo! and demanding that our information be
stricken from cached files, notified all workshop participants of the
possibility that their personal information was revealed, while also
contacting the Web page archiving services and demanding the removal of
our cached pages."

[...]