[Dataloss] Hackers swipe seed company's customers' data

Dissent Dissent at pogowasright.org
Sat Mar 3 07:56:49 EST 2007

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/3676190.html

WINSLOW -- The Web site of Johnny's Selected Seeds has been hacked by
an intruder, resulting in the theft of thousands of private records
and credit card numbers, a company official said Friday.

Bruce Harrington, the company's director of sales and marketing, said
11,500 credit card accounts were stolen electronically in February.

"This is a violation, this is a criminal act and it's on us,"
Harrington said. "We are a victim here; it wasn't like we had credit
card information ready for the taking."

[...]

Of the total number of accounts that were breached, about 20 of the
credit cards were used fraudulently, Harrington said.

He said the last known Internet Service Provider to register action
involving the Johnny's case was somewhere in the United Kingdom.

Harrington said the security system was hacked in a very
sophisticated, methodical way.

"Essentially what happened is that criminals gained access to our
internal systems and gathered enough information to allow them to
then gain access to our Web site," Harrington said.

The company's "server farm" in Kentucky was the target, he said.

[...]

--
Main site: http://www.pogowasright.org
Main RSS feed: http://www.pogowasright.org/backend/pogowasright.rss