[Dataloss] WA: Stevens Hospital Notifies Patients...

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Mon Jun 4 19:39:20 UTC 2007

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070604006259&newsLang=en

Stevens Hospital is notifying patients that some patient names and other
identifying information were accessible on the Internet following a lapse
in a subcontractor.s computer security.

The records' privacy was restored after the hospital coordinated with the
subcontractor and a search engine to block access to the information. No
patient care, medical record or credit card information was involved, but
the accessible information did include patients. names, addresses and
Social Security numbers. Stevens believes that fewer than 550 patient
records were affected, and those patients are being notified.

"Our patients' privacy is our highest concern, along with their health and
well-being," said Mike Carter, the hospital.s president and chief
executive officer. "Once we learned of the situation, we took swift,
strong action to restore the security of their personal information."

[...]