[Dataloss] Seattle VA breach?

Dissent Dissent at pogowasright.org
Tue Jan 30 14:13:02 EST 2007

> Anyone out there have any info?
>
> Lyger

It didn't show up in my usual searches, but I found it once I knew
to look for it:

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/local/article/0,2403,BSUN_19088_5297644,00.html

Veterans' Info Stolen Out of Car

By JOSH FARLEY, jfarley at kitsapsun.com
January 22, 2007

BREMERTON

A locked car that had folders of veterans' identifying information
was burglarized late Wednesday in downtown Bremerton, according to
the Bremerton Police Department and the Seattle office of the
federal Department of Veteran's Affairs.

The government-owned vehicle was broken into at a parking garage at
Burwell and Pacific, and four folders of veterans' information and a
government cell phone were taken, the veterans' affairs office said.

Bremerton police is investigating the car theft and the veterans
office "is taking aggressive steps to protect and assist those who
may be potentially affected," according to a press release.

Letters are being sent to the veterans which include information
about obtaining a free credit check.

"The director's office is also reviewing policies and procedures to
ensure they were followed," the press release said, "and will make
whatever changes may be necessary to bolster the safeguarding of
veterans' private information."

--
Privacy-related news and resources: http://www.pogowasright.org
Privacy news headlines feed: