[Dataloss] Stolen Boeing laptop is recovered

blitz blitz at strikenet.kicks-ass.net
Sat Jan 27 18:24:28 EST 2007

As a thief, this would be one of the easiest way to "gather data"
without having it changed / repported by the corporation.

Not only that, but he could then return it, even claim a reward, and
profit even more. The company then reports, "It's been recovered!!!
Hooray", we don't have to spend a lot of money and of course it
wasn't accessed, so no reporting necessary, nor the costs of alerting victims.
In an appropriate time, data starts turning up, and people start
getting victimized, and not being alerted on the first occurrence,
they're in a quandary of how their PII got into the hands of the
criminal-class.

I suspect this occurs a LOT, and contributes to difficulty of legal
tracking and consumers rights being avenged in a court of law, but
hey, what the hell, like Scott McNeily of Oracle said, "You have no
privacy, get over it!"
What he fails to mention is he and his minions are profiting
handsomely from violating your privacy, massively.

Its going to take REAL privacy legislation, even better than what the
EU has, and a few Corporate clones doing some hard time before they
will take it seriously. As I've said for so long, there's entirely
TOO MANY faceless, shadowy corporations keeping our most personal
information on file and for what reasons, not disclosed to us.
They should be put out of business, period, and the remaining ones
should be operated under Draconian privacy measures, including full
access by the citizenry to check and dispute entries with the power
of the law on the citizens side!

Marc