[Dataloss] They Take it Seriously? Oh, Sure - Criminally Liable?

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Thu Jan 11 09:25:16 EST 2007

And this verbiage is what is so irritating.  If the server hard drive is
encrypted, they can say the data was encrypted, right?  But if the
attack were network based, and the OS decrypted the data and the
attacker got the data, it was unencrypted.  Security professionals know
the data was unencrypted - that's how the thief got it.  But the
managers are going to say the drive was encrypted.

I think this verbiage is geared toward laptop theft, not server attacks.
  The verbiage is loose enough to give the negligent ones wiggle room to
not have to report.

The other side of this coin is getting business owners to acknowledge
the law.  I spent the last year talking to business regulated by GLBA,
and most of them (99%) refuse to acknowledge their obligation under the
law, and none of them ever heard of Arizona's breach reporting law.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
623-203-1760

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.