[Dataloss] New mandatory reporting laws & FOIA requests?

Chris Walsh chris at cwalsh.org
Sat Jan 6 22:43:00 EST 2007

I have considered this.

The thing is, w/out some requirement that breaches be reported to the
government, I dont see how the government would have breach
information except about the government itself. As we have seen in
the situation with the federal govt, there can be a great deal of
this. but I personally haven't seen the value in trying it,
especially since it would be necessary to send out umpteen requests
to the various departments in each of the states.  You could easily
have hundreds of requests in flight.  Way beyond my means, but as a
project by, say, a journalism or law school, totally doable.  Hint,
Hint :^)

You are correct that I asked NC for records.  They responded quickly
and disappointingly.  However, after my request they published a
breach reporting form which -- if it is actually used -- would
contain great information.  NY responded to my most recent request,
and I should be receiving 1289 pages (!) of breach-related records
soon.  My plan is to scan them all in and make them available.  I'll
fire off a foia request to North Carolina for any and breach
reporting forms they have.  Hopefully, they wont put up a fight over
it.  I already foia'ed NJ.  Their law mandates central reporting, but
to the state police.  As a result, they are calling these
investigatory records that are exempt from disclosure.  Maine also
requires central reporting if the breached entity is regulated by
Maine's dept of professional and financial regulation.  Other than
for data brokers, the maine law kicks in on 1/31/2007.  I'll probably
get around to asking them for their records after NY and NC.

Chris