[Dataloss] (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

sawaba sawaba at forced.attrition.org
Mon Feb 12 00:08:49 EST 2007

You don't even have to mess with mirroring it. You can create a Linux boot
disk, specifically set up with scripts that search for juicy data, and
then upload them to your server over Wi-Fi. On a fairly new laptop, you
should have data (if there's any data to be had) within 30 minutes. You'll
be done in an hour or two unless there is a huge amount of data you want
to grab.

And because you are mounting the Fat32 or NTFS volume read-only, no dates
(or any other data for that matter) are changed. Ta-da, look ma, noone
touched it.

--Sawaba