[Dataloss] AL: Missing Veterans Affairs hard drive sparks identity theft fears

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Feb 2 23:21:24 EST 2007

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS%2FMGArticle%2FSLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192998926&path=!news!localnews

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) today announced that an employee
reported a government-owned, portable hard drive used by the employee at a
Department facility in Birmingham, Ala. - and potentially containing
personal information about some veterans - is missing and may have been
stolen.

"I am concerned about this report," said Jim Nicholson, Secretary of
Veterans Affairs. "VA's Office of Inspector General and the FBI are
conducting a thorough investigation into this incident. VA's Office of
Information and Technology is conducting a separate review. We intend to
get to the bottom of this, and we will take aggressive steps to protect
and assist anyone whose information may have been involved."

[...]