[Dataloss] NY: Dormitory Authority hunts missing ID tapes

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Thu Dec 20 12:35:17 UTC 2007

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=648817&category=FRONTPG&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=12/20/2007

Data tapes containing Social Security numbers, phone numbers and addresses
for up to 800 current and former employees of the state Dormitory
Authority, many of whom live in the Capital Region, are missing.

Employees of the agency, which funds and oversees construction of college
dorms and other capital projects, were informed of the missing tapes on
Wednesday via an e-mail that also offered advice on how to learn about
identity theft precautions.

"UPS is investigating it at their end. We are investigating it to the
extent that we can on our end," said authority spokesman Marc Violette.

[...]