[Dataloss] Data Loss versus Identity Theft

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Fri Oct 27 11:10:11 EDT 2006

I guess I am a fan of Arizona's Notification of Compromised Personal
Information law that defines a reportable event where
unredacted/unencrypted personal information is exposed through a
compromise of a security system.  (This is my high-level interpretation
- it gets more specific about having to perform an evaluation to ensure
a security control was compromised, but that could take a long time
before notification is made.)

This definition makes no mention of 3rd parties, or number of people.
It's just an event.  It also covers laptops stolen out of cars.
Strangely enough, I think giant loophole in the law is if there are no
security controls in place, no reporting is required as security was not
compromised.  Common sense states otherwise.

Read the text of the new AZ law here:
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/47leg/2r/bills/sb1338h.htm

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS