[Dataloss] Data Loss versus Identity Theft

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Fri Oct 27 09:04:41 EDT 2006

Data Loss:   When Data goes missing.  Would offer that this could
include stealing or loosing of a wallet or stealing or loosing A CD with
20 Million veterans Records.

Identity Theft: When someone uses someone's else Personal Identifiable
Information  for their own gain.

And by my "definition" Data Loss does not necessarily have to result in
ID theft nor does ID theft have to be because of Data Loss.

In My Opinion,  the key question is:  At what level of granularity does
this data need to be collected/centralized?   NOT certain that there is
a  "server farm" big enough to record every case of  either data loss or
ID theft, not to mention the resources required to "feed" the monster(s).