[Dataloss] Personal experiences? Was Re: VISA / 1ST BANK

ziplock ziplock at pogowasright.org
Sun Oct 22 09:25:38 EDT 2006

Ah, did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2005/fil9105a.html

Q: I am opening new bank accounts for people displaced by Hurricane
Katrina. What information or identification do the Bank Secrecy Act or
related regulations require me to obtain to open an account?

A: Bank Secrecy Act regulations require banks to obtain certain
information about a person before opening a new account and to verify the
identity of individuals within a reasonable time thereafter.

Under the interagency Customer Identification Program rules, before
opening an account, a bank must obtain, at a minimum, an individual’s

   1. name,
   2. address,
   3. date of birth, and
   4. taxpayer identification number, which for most individuals is a
social security number. [Individuals who are not U.S. persons may
provide a taxpayer identification number or a number from any other
government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and
bearing a photograph or similar safeguard.]