[Dataloss] Personal experiences? Was Re: VISA / 1ST BANK

ziplock ziplock at pogowasright.org
Sat Oct 21 05:46:51 EDT 2006

> By a show of hands (or reply email), how many here have ever received a
> breach notification or otherwise been informed that their personal
> information was compromised?  In a related question, how many here have
> been actual victims of identity theft?

I received notification from the VA recently, but have so far not been a
victim of identity theft.  But that's hardly comforting, although I do see
the distinction between data loss and ID theft I don't see the importance
of the distinction.  Would we be completely comfortable if someone stole
the key to your front door, and we were unable, forever, to change the
lock?  Would we be comfortable if the police told us "there's no reason to
believe they'll use the key to steal your stuff, no reason to believe
they'll ever sell the key"?

> Interesting that his SSN was somehow tied to his checking account.  I
> honestly don't remember if I had to give by bank that information to open
> my account.  Good food for thought..

I worked in the banking industry for a while, and as I recall, fed regs
require you to give the (U.S.) bank your SSN to open any type account.