[Dataloss] VISA / 1ST BANK

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Fri Oct 20 19:35:14 EDT 2006

lyger wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, George Toft wrote:
> ": " Until the lawmakers of Washington suffer ID Theft, nothing will change.
> ": "   If I were an ID thief, I would definitely dump any high profile name
> ": " from my database - no need to spoil the party.  And the party will
> ": " continue until some high profile politico gets burned.
>
> But data loss <> ID theft.  If data is lost or stolen regardless of an
> actual theft of an identity or identities, said data has been
> compromised even if no access can be proven.  Things *can* change, but it
> has to start with the actual protection of personal data and not wait
> until the media starts screaming "IDENTITY THEFT" in the headlines.

I realize the difference - my information has been stolen 4 times, but
my ID has not (yet).

Information protection received a major blow this month now that CPA's
are exempt from Gramm-Leach-Bliley (or so says my recent ASCPA
newsletter).  Not that many of them actually knew they were under this
legislation or even cared.

> ": " I was in Home Depot this week at the customer service counter.  A
> ": " customer was telling the clerk about someone running around with his
> ": " SSN.  It is becomming commonplace (at least in Arizona).
> ": "
> ": " George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
>
> Out of curiousity, did he mention how it was compromised?  Data breach of
> a third party or did someone stole his wallet?  Not much could probably
> have been done about the latter, but the former needs to be addressed from
> a data protection standpoint, not an "identity theft" one.

It was a conversation I overheard.  What I got out of it was that his
SSN was being used, not his whole ID.  The issue surrounded paying for a
purchase and they offered him cash, check or charge.  He couldn't do
check because his SSN was being abused.

George