[Dataloss] Data leaks hit share prices hard

Allan Friedman allan_friedman at ksgphd.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 9 12:20:49 EDT 2006

For anyone interested, the most recent copy is online here:
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/~acquisti/papers/acquisti-friedman-telang-privacy-b
reaches.pdf

We're working on a revised dataset that incorporates much of the
recent events that members of this list have found, as well as
pre-1386 events.  We look forward to sharing this data when it is
fully cleaned.  We'll post a copy of the revised results to this list
as soon as we have it.

We've asked the authors for details on this study, but I'm curious
about the long term implications. If you are trying to show a
significant effect with a conventional event study, it's very hard to
do for such a long time period and such a small sample size.

If anyone is interested in doing similar studies, feel free to contact
me offline. Verifying that you have the first published report and
that there are no conflicting news stories that might bias the results
is fairly time-intensive.

allan

Allan Friedman
PhD Candidate, Public Policy