[Dataloss] Many warned about Sacred Heart University computer security breach

Beth Givens bgivens at privacyrights.org
Fri May 26 16:23:29 EDT 2006

I called the phone number given below and the individual who answered
said that SSNs for some individuals were included in the breached data.

Beth

At 04:53 AM 5/25/2006, Adam Shostack wrote:
>I'm wondering..do SAT scores come as (name, ssn, score) tuples?
>Schools buy SAT and PSAT scores for marketing purposes, but what do
>they get when they buy?
>
>It turns out that they no longer do, but did 4 years ago.  See 2nd
>link, below.
>
>Adam
>
>PS: http://www.collegeboard.com/highered/ra/rp/rp.html
>http://www.collegeboard.com/sss/help/policiesandguidelines/ssnumbers/index.html
>

>On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:41:41AM -0400, lyger wrote:
>|
>| Courtesy InfoSec News and WK
>|
>| http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4947217
>|
>| By News Channel 8's Annie Rourke
>| WTNH
>| May 24, 2006
>|
>| A possible security breach at Sacred Heart University but is personal
>| information at risk?
>|
>| That's what some people are asking tonight after receiving a letter
>| from Sacred Heart University stating some of their information may be
>| at risk.
>|
>| The problem is some of the people warned aren't even students at the
>| university.
>|
>| The letter turned up in some mailboxes Wednesday advising recipients
>| that the security system of one of the university's computers may have
>| been breeched and that things like their social security numbers may
>| have been stolen.
>|
>| [...]

The information, advice, and suggestions contained in this email
should be used as an information source and not as legal advice.

Beth Givens, Director
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse
3100 - 5th Ave., Suite B
San Diego, CA 92103