[Dataloss] long term effects of data loss

Beth Givens bgivens at privacyrights.org
Mon Jul 31 18:05:52 EDT 2006

You are absolutely right.

There's a terrible loophole in the current law, Fair Credit Reporting Act as it was amended by FACTA. And that is that ONLY bona fide id theft victims can place an "extended fraud alert" on their 3 credit reports. The extended alert is for 7 years. One has to have a police report and provide a copy to the 3 bureaus before they will establish the 7 year alert.

So people who are affected by security breaches can only place an "initial" alert of 90 days. The careful and savvy ones will keep renewing it each 90 days which is a pain.  The law needs to be changed to enable ANYONE to have an extended alert, and in fact, to heck with the 7 year alert, it should be without end.

The best thing for people to do is to take advantage of the credit freeze if they are in a state that has such a law.

Beth Givens