[Dataloss] North Carolina - EMS patient data is stolen

blitz blitz at strikenet.kicks-ass.net
Mon Jul 17 21:49:53 EDT 2006

In their position, this is prob a violation of patients HIPPA rights.
HOWEVER, the organization in charge of enforcing HIPPA complaints,
has yet to undertake a single enforcement action. Wonder why? It's
full of self-protecting doctors, insurance-scum and is protecting
their own backsides of course.
HIPPA is worthless!

At 19:34 7/17/2006, you wrote:

>(From June, but not yet mentioned on this list.  Courtesy Beth Givens
>and Privacy Rights Clearinghouse):
>
>http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article?id=235733
>
>Published on Wednesday, June 21, 2006
>
>By Nancy McCleary
>Staff writer
>
>A portable computer containing the personal information of more than
>24,000 people was stolen from a Cumberland County ambulance June 8.
>
>The computer contained the information of 24,350 people treated in the
>past year by Cumberland County Emergency Medical Services.
>
>Cape Fear Valley Health System, which operates the EMS, has notified the
>N.C. Attorney General.s Office and mailed letters to the affected people,
>urging them to monitor bank and credit card accounts, said Clinton Weaver,
>a spokesman for the health system.
>
>"We're treating this incident seriously," he said. "We know the importance
>of patient confidentiality, and we're looking at ways to prevent this in
>the future."
>
>[...]

believed to be clean.