[Dataloss] Data Loss Mail List: Topicality

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Jul 12 19:00:35 EDT 2006

In the last couple of days, I've received a few questions about what types of
posts or information are considered "on-topic" or "off-topic" for the Data Loss
Mail List.  From the subscription info page:

"Data Loss is a mail list that covers topics such as news releases regarding
large-scale data loss, data theft, and identify theft incidents. Discussion
about incidents, indictments, legislation, and recovery of lost or stolen data
is encouraged."

A few points to make here:

1. "Data loss", at least for this purpose, should be generally defined as the
loss, theft, or exposure of private personal information.  Social Security
numbers, credit and debit card numbers, and medical information are good
examples.  Not every computer hack, laptop theft, or office break-in results in
such exposure for individuals.

2. Discussion about "data loss" is encouraged.  Many subscribers to the list
work as security professionals and have read the latest media stories about
"what to do" or "what not to do".  While moderated, this list is not "news
only".  However, primers on "how to secure your laptop" are old news and
generally out of scope.

3. On occasion, an on-topic mail may be sent to the list that has formatting
errors or excessive hyperlinking.  In those cases, the list moderators will use
their discretion on whether to allow, modify, or discard a post.  We try to be
timely in reviewing posts, but it's not a full time job. :)

Any questions, comments, or concerns, please mail me directly at
lyger at attrition.org

Thanks,

Lyger