[Dataloss] Identity Theft protection changes needed

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Tue Jul 11 11:33:51 EDT 2006

Our business is focusing on a vertical that is clearly governed by
Gramm-Leach-Bliley.  Their professional journal carried 49 articles on
the applicability of GLBA since 2001, yet in 1600+ telephonic
conversations with members of this industry, the majority of the
business owners have never heard of GLBA.  The FTC calls out their
business as being regulated.  16 CFR states they are regulated, yet they
don't know about it.

So where am I going with this?

In our research to discover why we are getting little results in our
marketing, we stumbled across two pieces of wisdom:
1.  It's hard to convince someone to spend money on something they don't
understand; and
2.  The human mind is built to react, not proact.

In our case, we are trying to help these businesses stay out of the
[near] daily security breach headlines, yet the business owners do not
understand why security is important.  "That will never happen to me."

Regarding the human mind, I think that we - as security people - are
mis-wired.  We think proactively - that's why we proactively secure our
systems (to the maximum extent allowed by the budget).  And it is hard
for us to understand why the rest of the world can't see the freight
train about to hit them.

I have been tasked with presenting a webinar to the senior management of
a medium-sized company that is still running Windows NT on all their
servers.  (By now, most readers are probably gasping in shock.)  The IT
Director understand the problem, but senior management's mindset is
"It's not broken, so why fix it?"

So what it comes down to is that senior managers do not think
proactively.  They are focused on revenue generation, not asset
protection, and surely not security.  This point is supported in a
recent study
(http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2C1895%2C1979919%2C00.asp).  They will
react when it hits them in the balance sheet, but by then the damage is
done.

Proactive thought is neither taught nor practiced in college as shown by
the trend in data loss (1/3 of victims are universities).  In my own
studies - undergraduate and graduate - we were taught to solve problems,
not prevent them.  (My policies class came close - we were taught to
look at the failings of others and develop policies to protect the
business.)  The root cause of the problem lies squarely in our education
system.  Unfortunately, it takes years to move that industry, so the
problem will continue for quite some time.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.