[Dataloss] Colorado Work Place Identity Theft Statistics

Al Mac macwheel99 at sigecom.net
Sun Jul 9 20:19:16 EDT 2006

The Colorado Dept of Labor http://www.coworkforce.com/ just released
statistics on the degree to which Identity Theft is being used to secure
jobs in that state, perhaps some by illegal immigrants.

For list readers not in USA, we all have to pay employment taxes, which are
recorded using our social security number, so the government gets all that
data, except in cases where employers or independent contractors have
failed to file the neccessary paperwork.

>In the third quarter of 2005, the department recorded 2,249 instances
>where employers reported a Social Security number that was used six or
>more times. One number was provided by 50 different employers.
>
>During the first quarter of 2006, 368 Social Security numbers were filed
>more than six times by 2,828 employers. One number was reported by 57
>different employers.

How much you want to bet the IRS will be after whoever that social security
number belongs to, complaining they under reported their income when they
paid their income taxes?

{...} more info in the rest of the article

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2006/07/03/daily18.html

Colorado Gov site: http://www.colorado.gov/
Colorado Cyber Security http://www.colorado.gov/cybersecurity/index.html
Colorado in perspective http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado