[Dataloss] Firms play Data Protection roulette

George Toft george at myitaz.com
Sun Jul 9 11:10:47 EDT 2006

I think we should make a distinction between live data and real data.

Some companies make copies of their live data and put it in their
development environment(s) for development and testing.  It's not live
data, but it is certainly real.

There are many benefits to using a copy of live data, but in today's
reality, I think the risk to the business is too great to endorse this
activity.  I think it also might violate the spirit of "separation of
duty" that most companies implement to keep developers out of production
systems.

Regards,

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.