[Dataloss] [vanderaj at greebo.net: SF new column announcement: Strict liability for data breaches?]

blitz blitz at strikenet.kicks-ass.net
Tue Feb 21 13:14:20 EST 2006

RE: The radio analogy:

That took one massive disaster with thousands of lives lost. Those
kinds of incidents seem to pique interest in "getting it right", much
the same as the disaster of 9.11 inspired major changes to the
building codes now used in regards to stairwell design, fire-proofing
and emergency procedures.

So far we haven't learned of a major disaster in dataloss of any
great magnitude, primarily (I would suppose) because #1) they dont
want us to know about it. #2) Insurance they've bought covers it, and
theres no incentive for the insurance companies to reveal the
magnitude or method of the losses, lest they inspire someone else to
use the same tact, or #3) (Which is my favorite, most probibal
theory) They can simply charge off to the consumers, the costs of
losses, either in higher rates, premiums, costs of insurance, etc.
etc. etc. Which fleeces ALL equally, giving them a way to profiteer
off their losses. And since this is particularly despicable, raping
those that DO practice good, safe, best practices, its a thing they
readily absorb, and jack up the rates making everyone pay excessive amounts.
This is the theory of auto insurance, take the worst drivers, and
rape everyone at a fraction of their rates, and spread the costs over
the base who do not drive bad. This insures continued fleecing of the
very worst drivers at confiscatory rates, while a few dollars more
from everyone adds up to huge profits.

So until  major dataloss incident, that can not be covered up, flows
out onto the street and people scream for preventive measures, don't
hold your breath. Something like a few billion being scammed by the
Russian mob doesn't even come close here. Hell, the US Housing and
Urban Development (HUD) took a $4 billion loss and nary batted an
eyeball, (like how many of us heard of it?) so if they're not
blinking at a few billion, what DOES constitute as a major incident?

Money doesn't seem to count, peoples information is more sensitive by
far. Money doesn't make noise, people DO! And rest assured, one of
these days, some deep pockets organization will do something horribly
incompetent, and hundreds of thousands will start a class action suit
that will cripple them enough to cause everyone else to rethink
security from the ground up. We can all hope that's the way it goes,
because if we let the law-vultures have a go at writing rules and
regs, we're starting at the very rock bottom of incompetency.

>Best practices also change quickly--from the introduction of radio to
>the time that a ship was expected to have a radio to avoid negligence
>wasn't all that long.

believed to be clean.