[Dataloss] City of Grand Prairie posted sensitive employee info on website

Dissent Dissent at pogowasright.org
Sun Dec 3 10:35:38 EST 2006

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa061203_kd_gpidworries.4c17588e.html

GRAND PRAIRIE – Some employees of a Grand Prairie business are
concerned their personal records were not protected.

“You would never think that your employer would make that mistake,”
said an employee of the City of Grand Prairie who asked to remain
anonymous.

She and other employees are on edge all because of a mistake revealed
in a letter that said employees’ personal information – including
their social security numbers – ended up on the city’s website.

It all started when the city began working with a contractor to iron
out details for workers’ compensation insurance for city employees.
The proposal was put on the city’s website, along with hundreds of
employee names and social security numbers.

“It was a mistake, you know, on our part to tell you the truth,” said
Amy Sprinkles with the City of Grand Prairie. “We just didn’t catch
it.”

The mistake wasn’t caught for an entire year.

[...]