[Dataloss] hard drive destruction

DAIL, ANDY ADAIL at sunocoinc.com
Wed Aug 16 12:09:10 EDT 2006

Don't forget contractual and cost considerations either.  For instance,
we have computers in over 5,000 gas stations.  When a hard drive goes
out in one of those PC's, our contract with Dell requires us to send in
the old drive in order to receive a new one under warranty.  We could
pay extra and just get a new drive and destroy the old one, but why make
it more expensive?  We ensure the drive is clean, then we ship it to
Austin.  It adds a step, but it is still cheaper than buying new drives
all the time (funny how those $100, 500 GB drives at CompUSA never seem
to make it onto my commercial account ordering lists).

Too many decision makers are led down the most expensive solution to a
problem for the sake of ease, because of paranoia or inexperienced
staff.  The more simple and inexpensive the solution (assuming it is
effective, or adequate compensating controls can be deployed), the more
likely it is to be followed by staff, and the more likely I am to still
be managing the effort next year. :)

Andy Dail
Sunoco PCI Project Manager