[Dataloss] Bank of America/VISA breach?

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Aug 9 10:13:48 EDT 2006

A question posed by a member of another mailing list, forwarded with
permission.  All responses will be forwarded to the author:

____________________________________

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:08:02 -0400

A friend of mine just had his Bank of America Visa debit card cancelled
because BOA said that VISA just informed them that there was a "massive
compromise" of Visa debit cards.  Anyone know what's up?

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:15:56 -0400 (EDT)

My friend got a call from BOA saying that there has been a "massive"
compromise of Visa debit cards and his card might be affected.  As a
precaution, BOA is cancelling his old card and mailing him a new one.  But
there is an interesting twist.  BOA wouldn't be cancelling the card for
another hour to give my friend time to make one last withdrawl.  He rushed
over to his local ATM, but he tried to take out too much money when he
went over his daily limit.  When he tried a second withdrawl at lower
amount, but the ATM said his card was cancelled.