[Dataloss] U of Wisconsin Madison Credit Union customers victimized

Al Mac macwheel99 at sigecom.net
Wed Aug 2 16:41:57 EDT 2006

Here is a post from a family member of a victim to another discussion list,
with clarification of what might be going on. Initially the victim wondered
if the bank had suffered a data loss, and just not yet reported it.  I am
not yet seeing anything in the news to substantiate this theory.

Someone appeared to have used an ATM in California to transfer her money
July 24, then withdraw it, cleaning out the account, at about the same time
that she was in Illinois, making legitimate purchases.  Customer Service
http://www.uwcu.org/ has been unable to explain what is going on, or why
they closed the account.

I have not yet seen if the bank returned to her the ATM card that got stuck
in the machine, or acknowledges that they have it ... that would explain
whether it was confiscated by a bank, or was taken by ATM scammer.  I think
that if banks were to make an entry in people's accounts when they
confiscated cards, that might make it easier for people to figure out the
difference.

She is not the only victim of crimes involving this same institution.
Someone is making suspicious phone calls impersonating being a
representative of the Credit Union.
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/2986774.shtml

The US Gov has regulations for banks verifying the identity of on-line
users, which some banks have trouble complying with.  The Credit Union
claims they have good security there.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1445341393;fp;4;fpid;1398720840
https://secure.uwcu.org/onlinesecurity/SafeGuards.asp

Perhaps she is victim of an ATM scam.  However, it does not sound like the
fraudulent activity occurred in the same place as the ATM card got swiped.
I have stated before that I only use ATM machines that are associated with
banks, not any that may be fakes.  This is also a good reason to have a
reasonable limit on how much can be taken out of an account in any given day.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/21/eveningnews/main541555.shtml
http://www.utexas.edu/police/alerts/atm_scam/
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/atmtheft.htm
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/atmcamera.asp

UW campus is in the process of changing to ATMs from a different bank.
http://www.uwmpost.com/article/c58b6a040cb18c88010cc7b1098b000b