[Dataloss] Mississippi - Belhaven College data stolen

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Wed Aug 2 16:58:57 EDT 2006

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060802/NEWS/608020375

By Jimmie E. Gates
and Marti Covington

August 2, 2006

A laptop computer stolen last month from a Belhaven College employee
contained names and Social Security numbers of college employees, leaving
them vulnerable to identity theft.

Belhaven College President Roger Parrott confirmed Tuesday the stolen
computer contained some personal information on employees. But Parrott
said he didn't know how many of the private school's roughly 300
employees' personal information was compromised by the theft.

Parrott notified faculty and staff of the situation in a memo July 25.

"The computer of the auditor did have several sophisticated levels of
security on it, so we are hopeful the thief won't be able to open it and
will just toss it out," Parrott said in the memo obtained by The
Clarion-Ledger.

"However, we all need to be aware of anything that looks suspicious in
your credit rating, and to be extra cautious of someone calling and
claiming to have your Social Security number and trying to get more
information from you."

[...]