[attrition] Security Analysis Websites Form New Public-Interest Firm

lyger lyger at attrition.org
Fri Mar 31 12:02:11 EST 2006

SECURITY ANALYSIS WEBSITES FORM NEW PUBLIC-INTEREST FIRM

March 30, 2006 (HANOVER, MD) -  Attrition.Org and Vmyths.Com, two of the
Internet's most venerable security information resources, are announcing
their merger and subsequent creation of Brilliant Security Initiatives
(BSI), a public-interest security consultancy based in Hanover, MD.

Since late 2005, the firm has quietly received funding from the Department
of Homeland Security to support the development of its next-generation
adaptive search appliance based on BSI's proprietary Bilateral Unique Linear
Logarithm technology.

In a public statement to analysts this week, Attrition.Org founder Brian
Martin and Vmyths founder Robert Rosenberger agreed that "while we've both
had repeated offers over the years to 'go corporate' none of them seemed
like a good match for our culture and services. This particular opportunity
is a 'perfect storm' to align our expertise to serve a critical need for our
nation's defense and bring an exciting project into reality."

The BULL project is intended to provide seamless, intelligent and adaptive
Realtime Query Services (RQS) for the Department of Homeland Security's own
Secure Homeland Information Transfer network that provides a common shared
and secure operating environment for federal, state, and local law
enforcement and emergency responders.

In addition to the RQS initiative, Brilliant Security develops and provides
subscription-based research and analysis pertaining to Internet security and
other topics related to critical infrastructure protection.

"Most research firms provide analysis and 'advice' from an Ivory Tower
perspective," says Jay Dyson, the firm's Technical Research Director. "What
we bring to the table are lessons-learned based on direct, recent, and
ongoing experience as security practitioners instead of industry groupthink
and fuzzy research findings that change daily."

In addition to the $3.4 million RQS funding for 2006 is a last-minute, $1.2
million contract to provide secure electronic mail services to the FBI's New
York Field Office, which was discovered recently to be lacking such basic
networked services for its crime-fighting activities. Supporting this effort
is Lockheed Martin Information Systems, already overseeing a $500 million
program to develop the successor to the Bureau's failed Virtual Case File
system.

Martin said, "Rob [Rosenberger] and I were tired of sending mail to New York
based FBI agents only to get it bounced back as undeliverable, and that just
won't fly in this day and age of fighting terrorism -- especially when it
involves our invoices and getting paid for our work in the Big Apple."

Assisting in this merger is Richard Forno, the former operator of the
seven-year old Infowarrior.Org security site, who will join the venture as
chief scientist, and noted security expert AJ Reznor as chief technology
officer.  Corporate technical support and outsourced consulting services for
the New York FBI e-mail project will be provided by the five-year-old
UnixGeeks.Org consultancy, also merged into the combined entity.

With a full-time staff of fourteen, the new company will be based in
Hanover, MD.  The firm's new website will launch on 1 April 2006.

Press Contact:

bsi-press at attrition.org

The Brilliant Security Initiatives family is always looking for more help.
Send in your resume quickly, as the list of considerations is quite
competitive:  http://attrition.org/misc/ee/20050426-names.txt